Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Reflection 2 (11/28)

This week's class was once again filled with lots of information. We talked more about blogs and we started learning about wikis. I really liked our discussion of Wikipedia and whether it is a reliable resource or not. I think it's pretty cool that any entry can be edited/corrected by anyone around the world. I do see where some people could be sceptical on the validity of the information, since they don't know who actually wrote the entry. However, isn't part of our job as a teacher to teach student how to determine if a source is legit? I think I would let my students use Wikipedia as a starting point. They can take the information from there and check it's validity in other "more reliable" sources.

I am having a very hard time figuring out how to use all this technology in my classes. I "teach" two blocks of glorified study hall, so I doubt I can use it in there. My other class is TAP Math. I want to something for that class, but I have no idea what. The vast majority of the class is individual work in packets, not direct instruction from me. My students range in ability levels from very basic math to advanced algebra. Some of my students are from other schools and are in TAP to make up credits. One or two of my students are taking math for an elective credit. With such a variety of student abilites and very little direct instruction from me, I'm wondering how I can integrate this technology into my curriculum.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One of the best things about these class is that we can talk a generate ideas for the classroom. Lets talk about your class.
Ken